By Tina Comeau
The Yarmouth Mosquito AA Gateways are hosting provincials in Yarmouth Aug. 31 to Sept. 2.
Six mosquito AA teams will be competing for the provincial title. Pool A is made up of Yarmouth, Kentville and Hammonds Plains. Pool B is made up of Dartmouth, Prospect and Sydney Mines. The players in this age group range in age from nine to 11.
“We had a very good season. We won probably three-quarters of our games,” says head coach Paul MacDonald, who adds this was the first year the team played in the Bluenose League.
Yarmouth applied for the right to host provincials and MacDonald says organizing the sporting event involves a lot of work.
Asked about how the teams should fare against one another at provincials, and how he expects the Yarmouth team to do, MacDonald says, “We have a very competitive team. All of the teams that are in provincials, outside of Sydney Mines, we’ve played, they are actually all in our league, and we have beaten them and they have beaten us, every game is close, by one or two runs.”
So with no team heavily favoured going into provincials, it’s really anybody’s ball game.
“There are some really good ball players in all these teams,” says MacDonald.
All of the games, except for one, will be played at the Mariners Field on Forest Street.
The following is the provincials’ schedule:
FRIDAY, AUG. 31:
• 3 p.m. Yarmouth vs Kentville
• 4:30 p.m. Dartmouth vs Prospect (this game is being played at St. Ambrose field)
• 5:30 p.m. Yarmouth vs Hammonds Plains
• 8 p.m. Dartmouth vs Sydney Mines
SATURDAY, SEPT. 1:
• 9 a.m. Kentville vs Hammonds Plains
• 11:30 a.m. Prospect vs Sydney Mines
• Game 7: 2 p.m. 2nd Pool A vs 3rd Pool B
• Game 8: 4:30 p.m. 2nd Pool B vs 3rd Pool A
SUNDAY, SEPT. 2:
• Game 9: 9 a.m. 1st in B vs winner Game 7
• Game 10: 11:30 a.m. 1st in A vs winner Game 8
• 3:30 p.m. Championship game between winners of Games 9 and 10