Murder trial delayed after witness has seizure in Charlottetown court
CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. – The first-degree murder trial for Joel Lawrence Clow came to a sudden stop this morning after a witness had an epileptic seizure while giving testimony.
An Oct. 1, 2016, bus tour visited the site of the crash of an object in the water in what is referred to the 1967 Shag Harbour UFO incident.
©TINA COMEAU PHOTO
SHAG HARBOUR, N.S. – Along with the lingering mystery of the October 1967 Shag Harbour UFO incident comes the question of how mark the 50th anniversary when you’ve been denied major funding for what had been big plans.
Plans to hold a major event to mark the 50th anniversary of the UFO incident took a nose dive recently when a bid for funding was rejected.
The Shag Harbour Incident Society was counting on $20,000 Canada 150th cash to celebrate the half-century since the Shag Harbour incident.
The small fishing village of Shag Harbour, Shelburne County, has less than 500 residents but they are sitting on one of Canada’s biggest mysteries. The events of Oct. 4, 1967, still remains a mystery today, but it's known as the most documented UFO sighting in history. On that night around 11 p.m., an unidentified flying object measuring approximately 60 feet in diameter, according to witnesses, was seen hovering over the small community before crashing into the water.
Most believed it to be a plane crash, but no plane was reported missing. The following day, the Rescue Coordination Center filed a report with Canadian Forces Headquarters in Ottawa. This report stated that something had hit the water in Shag Harbor, but the object was of "unknown origin."
MARKING HALF A CENTURY
Volunteers have been struggling to gain recognition for this event.
“We can’t get a lot of love here in Shag Harbour; they won’t even give us a (Highway 103) sign,” said society vice-president Brock Zinck.
It’s true. There is no sign from the highway showing where to turn off for the iconic village.
“Maybe the government doesn’t want to know we are there,” said Zinck mysteriously.
Right now, the society is figuring out what they can offer for the 50th event at a grassroots level.
“We were really counting on the grant,” said Zinck. They, like many of their surrounding communities, had applied for the Canada 150 grant.
“We were excited,” he said. “It does throw a wrench in our preparations. We had big plans to take it to the next level.”
They had hoped to use the funding dollars to fly in top experts in the UFO phenomena from the US and Canada but will have to cancel that part of the event.
“Working on a limited budget is going to be tough,” said Zinck. “We will have to do it all on our own and it won’t come close to what we wanted to achieve.”
MOVING AHEAD WITH PLANS
The society is meeting to figure out how to throw a weekend-long celebration worth talking about from Sept. 29 to Oct. 1, as well as an event on Oct. 4 to mark the anniversary.
“We want to bring it this year,” said Zinck.
Some events are already set up, including a costume dance with DJs Unidentified Funk Objects and speakers like Chris Styles will share their first-hand account of the incident. The highly-popular bus tour to highlight the history and locations of the UFO landing will also be part of the festivities. (READ A STORY FROM LAST YEAR'S BUS TOUR BY CLICKING HERE.)
Already, people are doing what they can to spread the word about the festival. Podcasters are hyping it up, said Zinck, and writer Don Ledger, who is currently on a book tour, is talking about it at every stop. Zinck said this story is one that should be what Roswell is to the states.
“I am super sad,” said Zinck. “It makes an otherwise sleepy community stand out.”