Eight charges laid in alleged home invasion

Published on August 7, 2012





The day after the RCMP had sought the public’s help in locating a possibly injured man following an alleged home invasion in Darlings Lake, that man – 26-year-old Nicholas Wayne Mood of Pembroke – appeared in a Yarmouth courtroom, facing eight charges stemming from the Aug. 6 incident.

During his Aug. 7 court appearance Mood consented to remand in custody until his next court appearance, which has been set for Aug. 23.

The Yarmouth Rural RCMP, meanwhile, say their investigation is continuing. And, says Staff Sergeant Michel Lacroix, the events of Aug. 6 continue to be confusing for investigators. As the investigation proceeds there may or may not be further charges filed.

Mood has been charged with break and enter and assault with a weapon, assault, causing unnecessary pain to an animal, three counts of breach of recognizance and two counts of uttering a threat.

At approximately 5:40 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 6, after receiving a 911 call, the RCMP from the town and rural detachments responded to a report of a home invasion at civic number 2503 on Highway 1 in Darlings Lake, Yarmouth County. The dog unit was also later called to the scene.

The RCMP say a man broke into a residence and assaulted a 26-year-old man and a dog living in the home. The man inside the residence, Adam Hazelton, and a dog named Diesel were assaulted with a weapon and both suffered injuries. The dog, said S/Sgt. Lacroix, had lost an eye after being struck with a weapon. The dog has been receiving medical attention for its injuries. (See public appeal for financial donations later in this story.)

A 23-year-old female was also in the home at the time but was not harmed. The RCMP said the individuals were all known to each other.

The court charge does not identify the weapon used and S/Sgt. Lacroix said this is because investigators are still looking to confirm what weapons were involved in the incident. He said even though on Tuesday some aspects of the investigation still had yet to be confirmed, the RCMP only had 24 hours to lay charges and bring Mood before a judge and the police felt comfortable with the charges they laid. Mood had been picked up around 3 p.m. on Monday.

 “The type of weapon, it could be a baseball bat, there is talk now it could have been a shovel,” said S/Sgt, Lacroix. “At the beginning we thought it was a baseball bat, there was a shotgun used.”

Part of the RCMP’s investigation is exploring the issue of self defence within the house.

The Yarmouth rural detachment and the South West Nova Major Crime Unit are continuing their investigation.

“There are more witnesses to be interviewed and some witnesses have to be reinterviewed to clarify some things,” S/Sgt. Lacroix said Tuesday afternoon. “It’s quite confusing what took place there on that morning.”

At the time of the alleged Aug. 6 incident Mood was on a court order (known as a recognizance) and he was not to have any direct or indirect contact with the woman who was at the Darlings Lake residence. The only permitted contact that was listed in a previous court order was contact through a lawyer. Mood had entered into that court agreement on June 1 in a Dartmouth courtroom. On July 5 he was charged with breaking the no-contact clause. That charge is still before the court.

And now, on Aug. 6, he is again accused of, and charged with, breaking the no contact clause. He is also charged with failing to keep the peace and be of good behavior and not possessing or consuming alcohol or controlled substances, which were two other clauses in the court order.

When the RCMP arrived at the residence in Darlings Lake early Monday morning, the suspect had fled the scene. On Monday afternoon, shortly after 2 p.m., the RCMP  issued a media release seeking the public's help in locating Mood. The release did not identify Mood's connection to the incident. However, the RCMP said they were concerned that he might be seriously injured and in need of medical help. Part of their concern was based on blood that was found on the pavement of the road next to the residence. 

When Mood was located, S/Sgt. Lacroix said the man's injuries were not as serious as had been initially thought. The RCMP did transport him to hospital. 

Meanwhile, a Facebook appeal has gone out seeking donations from the public to help cover the medical care the dog Diesel is receiving at the Parade Street Animal Hospital. The appeal says the dog was injured as he attempted to protect his owner and his owner's companion. The appeal says the dog was struck to the head with a baseball bat. On Tuesday the dog required surgery to remove one eye. Those caring for the dog had to wait for swelling in his brain to recede before the surgery could occur, reads the appeal. People can stop by the animal hospital and make a donation at the front desk.