YARMOUTH COUNTY - Location scout Shaun Clarke, who recommended Cape Forchu as the location for filming The Lighthouse (starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe) last year, said in a 2018 interview that “although it’s really difficult to quantify, the subsidiary interest in Cape Forchu after the film is released is expected to be strong.”
He added that having a high-profile movie filmed in the area could attract more film companies.
“It’s almost like a proof of concept. Once one film company comes, obviously it can be done. For the right location, the inconvenience of being three hours from Halifax is surmountable.”
“Lots of smaller jobs can be attracted to Yarmouth: commercials, print ads, etc. The natural beauty of the area and historic architecture are amazing assets,” he said.
He added that Screen Nova Scotia is looking for a variety of properties to recommend to film companies, including private homes, inns, restaurants, bars, cafes, farms and more.
Clarke took many pictures of the area for his digital files and also has strong prospects for car commercial locations.
He has lots of tips for property owners who are considering listing their home or business with Screen Nova Scotia for free through their Starring Your Property program.
- When taking pictures of their property, submitters should remember to take wide shots and include any outbuildings, barns, etc. Interior shots should be taken from a doorway so that the full room is in the frame.
- Also, the submitter should shoot reverses, e.g.: one shot from each side of the room with the photographer’s back against the wall if there is no doorway.
- Those who are planning to list their property should realize that there is a certain level of intrusion inherent in filming.
- “Crew size varies but it can be a bit shocking as to the number of people and how much equipment is required,” he said.
- If a production company is interested in your property for a shooting location, the person in charge of locating, selecting and finalizing locations will contact you to arrange a site visit of your property.
Listing your property