A plaque unveiling at the Killam Brothers Shipping Office was hosted by the Town of Yarmouth Heritage Advisory Committee on Sunday, June 9th. A variety of invited guests were on hand as Canada's oldest shipping office was officially recognized as a Municipal Heritage Property. The event also celebrated the Town of Yarmouth's 258th Birthday.
The ceremony featured a proclamation delivered by Town Crier David Ollie, followed by a welcome and birthday wishes from Mayor Pam Mood. Jason Deveau, executive assistant to MP Colin Fraser, spoke to the attendees, followed by Nadine Gates from the Yarmouth County Museum who provided a detailed background about the significance of the property. David Sollows was on hand to provide information to guests on the Southwest Nova Biosphere Reserve and Randy Saulnier (Heritage Committee member) spoke on behalf of the Killam family.
About the Killam Building
90 Water St., also known as the "Killam Building" was built in 1835 as part of the David and Wallace Flint shipping business. In 1856, it became part of the Killam Family Business. The Killam business extended to all parts of the world and was one of the largest dealers in hard and soft coal in Western Nova Scotia.
The Killam family business was the longest existing enterprise in the Town of Yarmouth and as such, the building at 90 Water St. is recognized by the public as the "Killam Building" After the company closed in 1991, an agreement was reached between the Yarmouth Historical Society and the new owners, whereby the Killam Brothers offices would be maintained as a historical exhibit with a museum on site during tourism season.
90 Water St. is an example of Colonial Revival Style architecture. Three front gabled styled dormers and an octagonal cupola were removed from the building at some point in history and have since been restored.
For more detailed information about this Municipal Heritage Property, visit this website.
For more photos from the event, visit the Town of Yarmouth Facebook page.