YARMOUTH – Nominations have opened for the 10th annual Business Awards presented by the Yarmouth and Area Chamber of Commerce.
This year’s list of awards includes a new category.
“We are very happy to announce that we are adding a new nomination category this year, to recognize the Employee of the Year,” says Kerry Muise, co-chair of the Business Awards Committee.
Instead of a sit-down dinner this year, the awards will be presented at a reception at the Rodd Grand Hotel on Thursday, Nov. 12, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. There will be finger foods and a cash bar.
“Expect a fun-filled reception to celebrate the exciting and successful year that our community is having in 2015,” Muise says. “(The) awards committee has planned a fast-paced event with a particular focus on the faces of business in Yarmouth and area. We are looking to celebrate each and every individual and business being nominated this year.”
Winners of last year’s awards will be the judges for this year’s event.
“This event would not be possible each year without our generous sponsors,” says committee co-chair Linda Cain, noting, “Our Platinum sponsors again this year are Grant Thornton and RBC.”
Nomination forms are available online at the Yarmouth and Area Chamber of Commerce website (yarmouthchamberofcommerce.com), or by following the links from the Chamber’s Facebook page. They may also be picked up at the Chamber office in Lovitt Plaza, at RBC, or at Coastal Financial Credit Union.
Nominations and nominees are not restricted to Chamber of Commerce members.
Nominations must be submitted by Tuesday, Oct. 6 and must have permission from the nominee.
The award categories are:
• Small Business of the Year (1-10 employees)
• Medium Business of the Year (11-30 employees)
• Large Business of the Year (31+ employees)
For these three awardsthe business can be from any industry, as well it meets the criteria for supporting the community, has shown excellent growth in its business area, and has had an impact on the local economy.
• Rising Star Business of the Year Award: This award goes to a locally-owned business that is less than five years old, or has had a new owner within the past five years, and has shown tremendous growth and success within our area.
• Export Achievement Award: This award recognizes the individual or business that has demonstrated success in exporting goods or services and has expanded its markets.
• Community Impact of the Year Award: This award honours a company or business that has demonstrated exceptional public spirit through active staff participation in community events. The nominee will have shown its support of the community through sponsorships and charitable initiatives, by monetary and/or in-kind contributions.
• Customer Service of the Year Award: This award is presented to a business and/or individual that raises customer service to a new standard of excellence and is a model for other businesses in the community.
• Hospitality and Tourism of the Year Award: This business or individual has shown outstanding ability to promote and enrich the economic well-being of our area as an ambassador who attracts visitors to Yarmouth and surrounding areas by promoting our many unique and diversified attractions.
• Employee of the Year: This award will go to an individual who has shown outstanding loyalty, customer service and a passion for his/her job. Employers (and people at large) are invited to nominate a person who meets these criteria.
Tickets for the Awards Reception may be purchased after Monday, Sept. 21, by contacting the Chamber office at 902-742-3074.